Yaay, so after days of hardwork, googling and waste of money (Rs. 20 per 24hrs of internet) I finally got my laptop to connect to the internet through Airtel GPRS. The entire problem with what I was trying was that I was not specifying an APN – the Access Point Name, that is usually props up when setting up WAP on a mobile.
Ok, so after googling I found out how to set it up through
wvdial. Here’s my
wvdial.conf. Note that the string
"airtelgprs.com" is the APN, and should be replaced with the right APN if necessary.
[Dialer Defaults] Init1 = ATZ Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0 Init3 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","airtelgprs.com","",0,0 Stupid Mode = 1 Modem Type = USB Modem ISDN = 0 New PPPD = yes Phone = *99***1# Modem = /dev/ttyACM1 Username = bluff Password = bluff Baud = 460800
My K750i is connected via USB. Connecting via bluetooth turned out to be easy too… Just edit the
/etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf file, uncomment the example lines, and change the phone’s bluetooth id, to the correct one (which can be retrieved by doing
sudo hcitool scan). Then restart bluetooth:
sudo /etc/init.d/bluetooth restart. This was just a one-time procedure. From now on, just refer to the modem as
/dev/rfcomm0, you can use the above wvdial configuration with this minor change.
I’m getting pretty neat speeds — around 5.1 kBps (its GPRS, not EDGE).